Monday, August 14, 2006
Wallace has love affair with the enemyThursday, August 10, 2006.
Mike Wallace interviews Ahmadinejad.
- CBS News reported that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sat down with Mike Wallace in Tehran in a rare, exclusive interview. Ahmadinejad said that in response to President Bush's failure to answer his 18-page letter: "Those who refuse to accept an invitation will not have a good ending or fate."
The entire report will be broadcast on 60 Minutes this Sunday at 7 p.m. ET/PT.
- Radio Free Europe reported that imprisoned Mansoor Osanloo, the president of the Syndicate of Workers of the Tehran Bus Company, a prominent leader of Iran's workers movement, was released today from jail on bail after having spent seven months in prison.
- Rooz Online published excerpts of a letter by Iranian dissident Akbar Mohammadi written days before his murder in prison. In the letter he warned: "I believe authorities are preparing to humiliate and kill me..."
- Iran Watch Canada reported on Mr. Ahmad Batebi's 12th day of his hunger strike in Evin prison.
- IranMania reported that Iran will announce its new nuclear policy within weeks, following the UN Security Council resolution.
- MEMRI.org published excerpts from a press conference with Ali Larijani, where he said the Iranian response to sanctions will be painful to the West and will make it shiver with cold. Video.
- MEMRI.org published excerpts from a Tehran Friday Sermon delivered by Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati. He said: "The Security Council is so weak, so impotent, and is so susceptible to pressure that it in incapable of passing any resolution. ... the gates of the UN and the Security Council should be closed." Video.
- John Batchelor, The New York Sun considered why is America apparently waiting to be attacked by Iran before acting on the threat?
- Lee Smith, The Weekly Standard questioned whether Hezbollah is an invincible as the media is making it out to be.
- Alan Peters, AntiMullah.com reported on the Azadegan opposition movement is an umbrella leadership organization with an untainted record which is helping to unify the Iranian opposition.
- People Daily Online reported that Iran has assured Pakistan that no one from the Baluchistan Liberation Army (BLA), a militants' group banned by Pakistan, will be allowed to take refuge in its border areas.
- Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, The Weekly Standard reviewed George Michael's new book The Enemy of My Enemy: The Alarming Convergence of Militant Islam and the Extreme Right, about the unlikely alliance between Islamic radicals and the neo-Nazi far right.
- Dow Jones Newswires reported that because Iran is ignoring the UNSC resolution on its nuclear program, Japan might have to ditch its plan to secure oil from the massive Azadegan field in Iran.
- Cox & Forkum published a cartoon: First Casualty.
I would like to thank Doctor Zin and his team for all the hard work they do to bring this news into the light of day.
Category: The Daily Briefing on Iran.